That's what Kara came down with last week. It's also known as Roseola. It's a viral illness that starts with a high fever, lasting up to a week. After the fever breaks a rash breaks out over the entire body. Thankfully, her fever only lasted a total of 3 days and the rash was gone within 3 or 4 days. But boy, she was a crankster for the duration of her sickness. Her fever got up to 102.7 Monday night and that's when I got a little scared. Thank heavens for baby Tylenol. By Tuesday I noticed the first signs of the rash on her back and on Wednesday she went to the pediatrician because she looked like this:
 |
| still smiling (sort of) despite being so miserable |
The rash may be kind of hard to see but it looked pretty bad. Apparently, once the rash appears the child is no longer contagious. But I was still worried that people would notice the rash on her face and neck and judge me for taking my sick kid out in public. If she infected anyone it was before I even knew that
she was sick.
So, Kara has made it through another common childhood illness. We've got RSV and Roseola covered. What will be next? I will say that I'll do everything in my power to keep her from getting the flu. Kara will start going to Nursery in January, but I am SO going to be that parent that scopes out the kids and takes my child with me if I see any signs of sickness. I don't mean to offend, but it's just not worth the risk.
No comments:
Post a Comment