I made my own fondant, which was quite the experience. Who knew that you can knead 2 pounds of powdered sugar into 16 oz. of melted marshmallows if you slather your hands with enough Crisco? Not me. I don't have any of the messy pictures because I was the only one home at the time, but just imagine starting out with really greasy hands that turn into sticky hands no matter how much more Crisco you layer on, that eventually turn into hands that don't stick to the dense, forming ball. It was pretty fun. I really didn't know what the correct consistency to achieve was; all I knew was that I didn't want it cracking when I tried to put it on the cake. So I just guessed at it and hoped it would work! Thankfully, it did:
The next part was making it look cute. I had to color the fondant, which required more kneading, but it was worth it. I think the cake turned out quite well. I'm proud of the results considering it was my first try.
That night we brought the cake over to the Bodily's. None of them knew that we are having a girl, but when they cut into the cake they knew right away. If any of you watch 19 Kids and Counting on TLC you know where I got this idea from. It was kind of silly, but fun.
I even made the delicious raspberry filling. Yum yum.
And just for good measure:
I'm sure you all wanted to see what my belly looks like. At least my mom and sisters, who don't live near me, do. :)


That cake was adorable! You did a great job! I'm so excited for you guys :) Do you know what you're going to name her yet?? We're excited to see you guys in a week or so and introduce Jackson so his future wife according to Trevor :)
ReplyDeleteWow Ang. I am very impressed. Maybe you need to teach us how to make fondont for our crafty get together! :)
ReplyDeleteThat is so awesome, you could go pro. Also, you look adorable!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Little girls are the BEST. (I consider myself somewhat of an expert on that fact... Though, I'm sure if I had a little boy I would be inclined to vote the other way too.) The cake is beautiful! If that is any indication of your creativity, you will have a blast decorating a nursery. I don't know how your budget is, but if it's tight like ours was (is) you can find great stuff on Craigslist/KSL. I would also recommend signing up for different newsletters (BabiesRus, Burlington/Baby Depot), Carters, Children's Place, Gymboree etc). You can usually get %off coupons. I am vicariously very excited for you. Good luck in the upcoming months!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on having a girl...you're following in everyone's footsteps! And the cake looks amazing! I'm very impressed.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, AMAZING cake. WOW! Where did you get that kind of culinary skill?! Second, CONGRATS on your baby girl! So exciting! I'll be seeing you at the bball game tomorrow morning I hope :) Horray for the intramural tournament!
ReplyDelete