Note: The entire process took a week. I wanted to break things up and not be stressed out about getting it all done in one day, which I really think would be impossible. Assembly and decorating alone took three hours. So pace yourself and do a little each day.
Okay....
The first thing I did was make the fondant (about a week in advance). There are two reasons I make my own fondant: 1. because it's less expensive and 2. it tastes better than store bought fondant. Plus, then you get to say you made your own fondant. And that's way more impressive :)
The next step was to make the cakes (I did this 4 days in advance). Once again, I used this website (if you just go to makeit-loveit.com, click on the tutorials tab, and go to the Make a Cake Series you can find all sorts of great instructions for making cakes/cupcakes). I found this to be a great resource. She says she always uses cake mixes (how can you not love that?!), but she has suggestions for making it more moist. I followed her advice and the cake turned out great...and it was so easy!
Two days before assembly I made the flowers and princess crown. I used gumpaste for this. You can buy this at craft stores or Walmart. For the flowers I used this as a guide:
| This picture is from Cake Decorating At Home by Zoe Clark. I got it at Hobby Lobby. |
| They don't look exactly like the picture but they were good enough! |
I got the princess crown idea from the Make A Cake series. It was quite simple to make. I'm pretty sure the hardest part was getting the pattern the right size.
Next is assembly. I did this the night before. I actually made the raspberry buttercream frosting (for the filling) the night before I was going to assemble the cake. Before using it I let it come to room temperature. I did this because I had a second frosting I was planning on making (for the crumb coat/covering the cake) and the less I had to do the day of the better. As it turns out the whipped buttercream is very delicious...but I'm glad I didn't take a chance and make it the day before.
Okay. First you level the cakes using a serrated knife. Remember that the cakes are frozen so be careful not to cut yourself! Then you fill the cakes, making sure the cut side is in the center.
| Here is where I used the raspberry buttercream. I also added fresh raspberries. The frosting was quite sweet and the raspberries mellowed it out a bit. It was heavenly. |
Once that is done you go back and cover it with a thicker layer of frosting (this is where having the frosting firm helps). Make sure it's as smooth as you can get it because this is the frosting that the fondant will stick to. If there are large bumps you will be able to see it in the fondant.
Put the cakes back in the fridge while you roll out the fondant. I have no pictures of my fondant because I was kind of in a hurry and totally spaced it. Really, fondant doesn't dry that fast but I was a little worried. Anyway. Here are some great directions for rolling out fondant. A non-stick rolling pin is essential and I have found that a non-stick Roll and Cut matt is really nice to have.
I used a pasty wheel to make the quilted pattern. Mine is plastic and has different attachments. I used the little spiky one. I intended to do the quilting before I put the fondant on the cake because I knew it would be difficult to get the tops and the sides to match up perfectly (because this was my first time ever doing it). But, alas, in my rush I forgot and had to do it after the fondant was on the cake. It turned out okay, but definitely not perfect. Oh well. Next time it will turn out better.
I repeated that for the top layer and then added some pink sugar pearls where the lines intersected.
Next, the scary part: I stacked the two cakes. In order to stack cakes you have to have some sort of support dowel in the bottom layer and a cardboard base on the top layer (these both come in different sizes). The dowels keep the top cake from crushing the bottom cake and the cardboard circle gives the dowels something to support. Make sense? To ensure the top layer won't slide off the cardboard circle just put a bit of frosting on the base before you place the cake on it. Cut the dowels down to the height of the first layer and then stack the top layer, making sure it's centered, on top.
The final touches were to place the flowers,
and the crown. I brushed a little pink pearl dust around the edges of the crown to give it some color. I also did this on the roses to give them some sheen.
That's it! I'm sure I came off more confusing than I wanted to. If you're really interested take a class at Robert's Arts and Crafts or Michael's or just ask me to come over and show you! :)
I also made some cupcakes with the leftover batter (these were baked at the same time as the cakes) and raspberry buttercream. They were also delicious.


Oh my goodness, that cake is incredible! It came out beautifully. I'm so impressed!
ReplyDeleteAngela, that cake is amazing! Have you had a lot of experience with cake making? It is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYour craftiness makes me green with envy! Where do you find time to do this? At night?
ReplyDeleteYeah, I do almost everything during naps or at night. It's pretty much impossible to get much of anything done while Kara is awake. And breaking it up helps too. And I'm pretty sure you could do it too :)
ReplyDelete