This happened today and I don't want to forget it. It was one of those things that made me think, "Welcome to being a mom of more than one child."
Kara and Kylee are both sick (and me too). Not the debilitating kind of sick, just the nasty congestion that makes you sleep terribly kind of sick. Last night Kara woke up three times between 11:00 and 1:30 and then was up by 5:30 for the day (praise the Netflix gods that she can navigate the iPad and watch shows). Because of this I decided that she needed to take a nap today. What you have to understand is that I gave up making her take naps a long time ago. I knew it would be a struggle but I thought she'd be tired enough to comply. HA!
At 1:00 I told Kara to go to her room for nap/quiet time. She happily went but only stayed in there for a few minutes. So back to her room I sent her. Shortly after that I sat down to feed Kylee. While I was in Ky's bedroom Kara came in because she needed to "talk" to me. Then she needed to "talk" to Kylee. Eventually she left, shutting the door behind her. Instead of going into her bedroom like I told her to she went to the playroom. I knew this because I heard her playing with her kitchen. I finished feeding Kylee and then got up to tell Kara to go back to her room. Little did I know that Kara had locked me into Kylee's room!! This was made possible because the door handle is on backward. I didn't put it like that, the builders did, but I haven't taken the time to fix it.
With no way to unlock it (I don't keep small, skinny objects capable of unlocking door handles in my baby's bedroom) I told Kara to, "come open the door right now." She obeyed, which is not something she tends to do when she knows she's busted. Immediately she said, "I was sleeping in my bedroom." I informed her that I knew she was in her playroom because I heard her playing. She refused to go back to her bedroom and said she wanted to sleep in her playroom. I said "no" and ended up having to drag her to her bedroom (not screaming, amazingly enough!).
You know what happened next, don't you? She stayed in there for maybe 10 minutes and then came out again.
*Sigh*
I ended up letting her play in her playroom for quiet time so she wouldn't throw a fit and wake up a sleeping Kylee. I consider that a win. I didn't lose it at any point and she did stay in her room for a few minutes without throwing a tantrum. Some things just aren't worth the battle.
So, today I got locked in a room by my 3 1/2 year-old and I didn't get mad, I laughed. Parenting win!
This is what happened two hours later when we were driving down to grandma's house. Didn't need a nap, did she? :)




No comments:
Post a Comment