November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

This is my funny story about Thanksgiving.

I am not a fan of pecan pie but this year I decided to make a chocolate toffee pecan tart for Thanksgiving. I found the recipe in the Food Network magazine I get. They had a couple "twists" on traditional pie recipes and I thought I'd give this one a try. I was a bit nervous to feed it to other people, in case in didn't turn out, but everything went perfectly (except for the screaming baby I had while I was making the tart and couldn't hold her). The crust is chocolate pastry and there's no molasses in the filling so I was excited to try it. Who wouldn't love chocolate and caramel-y filling together?

Here is it:
I think the presentation is quite lovely.

So here's the funny part. After dinner and right when we were about to have dessert I had to feed Kara. I asked Trevor to bring me a piece of my tart because I didn't want to miss out on trying my creation after all that hard work. He was very kind and agreed. Well...when he brought it into me there was no crust on the plate. I asked him what happened to the crust and he said that no one was eating the crust. Whoever pre-cut the tart didn't cut the crust. When Trevor tried to get a piece out all he could get was the filling. So I went downstairs and he was right; about 1/3 of the filling was gone from the pie and the crust was left behind. I tried to give everyone a hint and cut an entire piece out so they could see that there was, indeed, a crust that belonged to this tart. It didn't work. People just kept scooping out the filling. I mean, who only makes filling?? At the end of the night, after talking with a few people I concluded that they either thought A: the crust was the pan, or B: the crust was burnt to a crisp. Honestly, most people just thought it was burnt. I was a bit dismayed at this. Would I burn a crust so bad that it was black? No. And even worse, would I actually bring this burnt crust and try to feed it to everyone? NO WAY!

This is what's left of the tart after I told a few people that the "burnt" crust was actually a chocolate crust. But you can clearly see how people were just scooping out the filling. This is what I get for trying to do something unique. It is quite funny when I stop and think about it though.

I would say that I've learned my lesson and I'll make something everyone can recognize next time, but that's just not true. I like to try new recipes too much. It's fun for me. Next time I'll make a sign so people aren't confused...just in case :)

No comments:

Post a Comment